TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder

T.A.B. is an interactive fiction/text adventure program for Windows and made with thinBasic.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Happy New Year 2024!
text lines I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:04 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 71
text lines I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
text lines I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
text lines I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 4:08 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
text lines I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am by catventure

» TAB Version 70
text lines I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 2:32 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
text lines I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
text lines I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm by catventure

Share | 

text lines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stants
Experienced Adventurer
stants

Number of posts : 71
Humor : I shall tear your soul Apart!!!!!
Adventure Points : 32
Registration date : 2009-09-16

text lines Empty
PostSubject: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 1:50 pm

After my intro is displayed i do not get the press space to continue prompt as my intro isnt that big. After the intro, its printing the first location and exits objects and characters.
Then i get prompt

ok, now what?

i type:

>examine spock
TAB player prints 2 blank lines

First Officer Spock.

Ok, now What?
>examine spock
TAB player prints 1 blank line

and then it continues to print 1 line all the time which is great.

But why on my first command does it print 2 blank lines.

Its not a major thing but it is annoying. Is it something to do with the intro.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Stants.
Back to top Go down
stants
Experienced Adventurer
stants

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 2:30 pm

im not sure but ive been testing to see how many carriage returns it prints. If i create a character with %r% examine messages. The first one it prints one carriage return but sometimes 2 carriage retunrs. Seems to be intermittent. And the last one prints 2 carriage returns. Why is this happening.

So my character is this.
Character announcement text: [color=%RGB_YELLOW]'Sulu' is here.
When character is examined:
Sulu is operating the helm of the 'Enterprise.'%r%Sulu controls the 'Enterprise.'%r%Sulu is busy at the helm.

I test the adventure and this is what happens

Tell me what to do next please.
>examine sulu

prints 2 carriage returns
Sulu controls the 'Enterprise.'
please enter your instructions
>examine sulu
prints 1 carriage return
Sulu is operating the helm of the 'Enterprise.'
>examine sulu
prints a carriage return and displays:
Sulu is busy at the helm.
prints another carriage return

So as you can see there are strange carriage returns after random messages.

Hope this can be fixed.

Kind Regards

Stants.
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male
Number of posts : 404
Humor : Enjoys a laugh!
Adventure Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-08

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Stants,

The beginning problem with the 2 blank lines might be related to the custom intro sequence... I'm looking into it.

With the random character examine texts use <return> after each text eg:

Character 'examine' message':

"Roger is your trusty canine companion.<return>
%r%Roger is your pet dog.<return>
%r%Roger is your canine and best friend.<return>
%r%Roger is animal.<no return required on last random element!>"

You should now get consistency with those when printed.

Phil.
Back to top Go down
https://adventure.forumotion.com
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi stants

Quote :

But why on my first command does it print 2 blank lines.

Its not a major thing but it is annoying. Is it something to do with the intro.

Can you post the 2 custom intro entries from Script 1 and Script 2?
Just so I can see if anything amiss there.
Thanks.

Phil.
Back to top Go down
stants
Experienced Adventurer
stants

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm

sure Phil. Here is my intro text from the System messages screen:[font=fixedsys]Welcome to Star Trek the text adventure game written by Stants (c) Copyright 2011.

You are[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'James Tiberius Kirk.' The captain on board the[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Starship Enterprise.' You have been sent on a mission by[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Starfleet command' to establish contact with a[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Starship' that has been seriously damaged by some unknown force. It is not yet known what exactly has happened but you must establish contact with the[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Starship' and report back to[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Starfleet.' You have with you your crew and currently you are in space orbtiting the planet[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Safron' where a distress call from the damaged[color:f408=%rgb_yellow] 'Starship' was last received.

Type 'help' to read the help menu and 'info' for commands accepted.

Note:Every character in the game has Strength, Stamina and Luck values. You can attack other characters and you can also be attacked yourself so be careful. Eating food replenishes your Stamina. Type 'stats' to see your characteristics and type 'stats <character name> to see their characteristics.

Good luck in your mission 'Captain'. Live long & prosper!!!!

Here is whats in script 1 editor:TAB SCRIPT 1 ENTRIES
====================
All the entries in this list are looked at directly after a location description is shown by TAB and just BEFORE visible exits, objects, characters present are shown.
Useful for appending a message to a room description or carrying out other conditions and actions.

[start]turns<0[acts]fontname=fixedsys#fontsize=10[end]

'Turbolift entries
[start]room=2[acts]cmess[color=%RGB_WHITE]"Which deck please?

You can say '2' for DECK B - Science Labs, '3' for DECK C - Recreation, '4' for DECK D - Engineering, '5' for DECK E - Sickbay, '6' for DECK F - Armory, '7' for DECK G - Quarters.#else#room=3[acts]cmess"Which deck please?

You can say '1' for DECK A - Bridge, '3' for DECK C - Recreation, '4' for DECK D - Engineering, '5' for DECK E - Sickbay, '6' for DECK F - Armory, '7' for DECK G - Quarters.#else#room=4[acts]cmess"Which deck please?

You can say '1' for DECK A - Bridge, '2' for DECK B - Science Labs, '4' for DECK D - Engineering, '5' for DECK E - Sickbay, '6' for DECK F - Armory, '7' for DECK G - Quarters.#else#room=5[acts]cmess"Which deck please?

You can say '1' for DECK A - Bridge, '2' for DECK B - Science Labs, '3' for DECK C - Recreation, '5' for DECK E - Sickbay, '6' for DECK F - Armory, '7' for DECK G - Quarters.#else#room=6[acts]cmess"Which deck please?

You can say '1' for DECK A - Bridge, '2' for DECK B - Science Labs, '3' for DECK C - Recreation, '4' for DECK D - Engineering, '6' for DECK F - Armory, '7' for DECK G - Quarters.#else#room=7[acts]cmess"Which deck please?

You can say '1' for DECK A - Bridge, '2' for DECK B - Science Labs, '3' for DECK C - Recreation, '4' for DECK D - Engineering, '5' for DECK E - Sickbay, '7' for DECK G - Quarters.#else#room=8[acts]cmess"Which deck please?
You can say '1' for DECK A - Bridge, '2' for DECK B - Science Labs, '3' for DECK C - Recreation, '4' for DECK D - Engineering, '5' for DECK E - Sickbay, '6' for DECK F - Armory.[end]

[start]room=1[acts]playsampletheme.wav#[end]

and I have nothing in script 2

Also many thanks for the %r% tips. I pressed carraige return after each %r% and now working correctly.

TAB SCRIPT 2 ENTRIES
====================
All the entries are looked at in this list to see if anything needs to be carried out. Script 2 may be thought of as the computer's turn of the game to show any events which may have happened as a result of the player's input.
After the Script 2 list has been executed the next phrase of input is considered by the parser or if there isn't one the player is prompted for a new input.

Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Those were not the entries I meant.

I meant the ones that show the movie then the picture and then move from location 500 to start the game from location 1...?
Or did you scrap that and change to something else?

Looking at your intro text, something wrong with color commands...

Please try this: shorten your intro text by a couple of lines and then let me know if the error still occurs. Thanks. (The intro text really need to fit easily into the adventure window at the start of the game to get the scrolling right)

Phil.
Back to top Go down
stants
Experienced Adventurer
stants

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm

Yes it is to do with the intro Phil. I shortened the intro and it works fine. Thing is though I dont really want a short intro. Ive been looking at piggery jokery and that intro is huge. Why does it do this on a long intro????

thanks

stants
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:57 pm

stants wrote:
Yes it is to do with the intro Phil. I shortened the intro and it works fine. Thing is though I dont really want a short intro. Ive been looking at piggery jokery and that intro is huge. Why does it do this on a long intro????

thanks

stants

OK. I haven't yet discovered why... I just know it can happen - but when it's the right length of lines it seems OK. And after that there doesn't seem to be a problem with it.... Another thing you could try stants is to make your intro longer by inserting blank lines for the time being using return and see if if you can discover an acceptable length where the beginning inputs work satisfactorily, so yuo still may be able to have a longer intro...
Sorry about the inconvenience.

Phil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

text lines Empty
PostSubject: Re: text lines   text lines I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

text lines

View previous topic View next topic Back to top