TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder

T.A.B. is an interactive fiction/text adventure program for Windows and made with thinBasic.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Happy New Year 2024!
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:04 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 71
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 4:08 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am by catventure

» TAB Version 70
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 2:32 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm by catventure

Share | 

Re: Manual

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
stants
Experienced Adventurer
stants

Number of posts : 71
Humor : I shall tear your soul Apart!!!!!
Adventure Points : 32
Registration date : 2009-09-16

Re: Manual - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Re: Manual   Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Yes very interesting Phil. You could also have 2 different static characters. One alive (guard,character 1) and one dead.(dead guard,character 2, not created yet). When the player examines the guard type in your usual examine character message for character 1.
i.e You examine the guard and he grunts at you. He doesnt seem very helpful. Maybe You should try something else.
You can also talk to the guard with normal speech entries for characters.

i.e. say to guard, what do you want.

Maybe the guard wants an object or in your case you could have the character reply with 'I want nothing from you peasant except your blood!!!'

which maybe gives the character a clue so he thinks right ive gotta kill him.
You could even have a certain number of turns to kill him and if you dont kill him after 3 turns he gets angry and kills you.

What Now> Kill Guard with dagger.
You attack the guard with the dagger. He is now dead!!!(Destroy character 1 and create character 2:dead guard)

What Now>examine dead guard. set flag 1 to 1
You search the guard and find a key. (create key object in location.)

What Now>examine dead guard and if flag 1 is 1 print suitable cmess You examine the dead guard and find nothing more of interest.

There are several ways of doing this actually. Phils example is very good also. Its just finding out what better suits you.
Obviously you will need a flag. One to test if the user has typed examine dead guard twice. On the second time they search you will find nothing of interest.
Or maybe you want the guard to have 2 objects if examine dead guard is typed twice. Then you will need 2 flags.

What Now>examine dead guard. Set flag 1 to 1

You find a gold key. Well done!!!

What Now>examine dead guard and if flag 1=1 print cmess You search the guard again and find a map. Nice One!!! create object number 24(map) set flag 1 to 2

What Now> examine dead guard and if flag 1=2 print cmess You search the guard but he has nothing more of interest.

Anyway just an idea.

Cheers

Stants.

Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male
Number of posts : 404
Humor : Enjoys a laugh!
Adventure Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Re: Manual   Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 am

Good ideas, stants!
Another way could be to create 2 static characters like you said but have the 2nd character "a dead body"...
character noun = /body/

This would avoid any character noun conflict with /guard/

Phil.
Back to top Go down
https://adventure.forumotion.com
Cuthbertson
Novice Adventurer
Cuthbertson

Male
Number of posts : 11
Humor : "In our day, the DM didn't give you specs on magic items. You'd walk around like an idiot for months with a +1 sword just because it looked cool and appeared to help ya in battle!"
Adventure Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Re: Manual   Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 am

My goodness! So many options! Thanks again to both of you. I'll have to think out the level of interactivity that I want the player to have with the NPC and then try out these approaches.

Cheers,
Cuthbertson
Back to top Go down
Cuthbertson
Novice Adventurer
Cuthbertson

Male
Number of posts : 11
Humor : "In our day, the DM didn't give you specs on magic items. You'd walk around like an idiot for months with a +1 sword just because it looked cool and appeared to help ya in battle!"
Adventure Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Re: Manual   Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 am

Okay, another question: Is there a way to change the static status of an object similar to how we can change the location of an object in game?

From what I have tested, the staticX is just read only for finding out if an object is static.

I'm hoping there is a command available for modifying this field. I have an object in the game that after a given result, I want to move the object back to a certain location and make it static so that it cannot be taken a 2nd time.

If this cannot be done, I am guessing I'd have to write a custom response and use a flag to deny the player from taking the object a 2nd time.

Cheers,
Cuthbertson
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male
Number of posts : 404
Humor : Enjoys a laugh!
Adventure Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Re: Manual   Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 am

Cuthbertson wrote:
Okay, another question: Is there a way to change the static status of an object similar to how we can change the location of an object in game?

From what I have tested, the staticX is just read only for finding out if an object is static.

I'm hoping there is a command available for modifying this field. I have an object in the game that after a given result, I want to move the object back to a certain location and make it static so that it cannot be taken a 2nd time.

Hi cuthbertson,
A static object is also regarded as one that has a weight attribute of 500....
So you can use weight changing action:

weightobjn1=X
weightobjn2=X
and
weightX=Y

So you would move the object to the appropriate location THEN use action:

#weightX=500# action command to set it to static....

If you now try and take object X TAB will reply with the default system mesage:
"You can't take the XXXX."

Regards,
Phil.

Back to top Go down
https://adventure.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: Manual   Re: Manual - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re: Manual

View previous topic View next topic Back to top