TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder

T.A.B. is an interactive fiction/text adventure program for Windows and made with thinBasic.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Happy New Year 2024!
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:04 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 71
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 4:08 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 2:32 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm by catventure

Share | 

The Forbidden Isle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male
Number of posts : 35
Adventure Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-10

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 1:36 am

To learn how to use the tab editor I've begun writing an adventure that I've named 'The Forbidden Isle'. It's just a working title for now and I hope that I can come up with a better one later on.

I've found that for me the hardest part is the creative part. It's taken a while for me to even think of a story line. I'm still working on thinking up locations for the game.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male
Number of posts : 404
Humor : Enjoys a laugh!
Adventure Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-08

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 8:35 am

Hi Sandy,

First, welcome to this new adventuring forum and for your interest in the TAB project.

"The Forbidden Isle" ? Sounds Ok to me. Anyway, not bad for a working title!
Feel free to use this section to post/record your plot ideas, storyline thoughts etc.

It's great you're starting to create a game. Will it be text or text/graphic?

Have you played many text adventures or written any programs before?

Best regards,
catventure

Last edited by catventure on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://adventure.forumotion.com
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Catventure,

You probably know me through my posts in the thinbasic forum. 'sandyrepope'.

This is my first effort at writing a text adventure game. It will be text only for now.

I haven't played very many games but find them interesting. I hope that I can create something interesting but realize that it might not be too good as it is my first.

It will probably take me a while as I don't want to rush the adventure. I do want to put enough work into it to make sure it is good.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 2:37 am

I'm still working on my game. So far, not so good. I was reading in part 7 of the tutorial and discovered something I can't seem to do.

It was talking about putting in a sign and I decided that I wanted a sign. I tried but it doesn't work. I keep getting the message "action 'obj2=1' is invalid. By the way, this error comes from having the line '[start]room=1[acts]obj2=1[end] in script1.

If I'm doing something wrong I sure can't find out what.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Sandy,

Sorry for the puzzlement. The TAB online tutorial is a bit out of date now (because of subsequent TAB update releases) and it urgently needs revising...
I will try and do that today if I have time.
It's best to use the "language.txt" to check out the correct format and syntax for conditions and actions

The correct action has been renamed to:

objlocX=Y (where X is the object number; Y is the location number)

So the code should be:

[start]room=1[acts]objloc2=1[end]

'rem location of Object 2 is set to be location 1

Apologies for confusion.

Please let me know if now OK. Thanks.

catventure.

Last edited by catventure on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MidKnight
Apprentice Adventurer
MidKnight

Male
Number of posts : 32
Humor : I am a Vulcan, I don't have emotions

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 7:06 pm

sandyrepope wrote:
To learn how to use the tab editor I've begun writing an adventure that I've named 'The Forbidden Isle'. It's just a working title for now and I hope that I can come up with a better one later on.

I've found that for me the hardest part is the creative part. It's taken a while for me to even think of a story line. I'm still working on thinking up locations for the game.

Thanks
Sandy

Hi Sandy/Phil,

I'm new to this forum and notice an army of Emoticons waving at me from the left.
The Forbidden Isle rings a bell. It's an Hawaiian island called Niihau. It's also a fictional place in Dungeon and Dragons. I also think it was a Conan book. Is your game based on one of these?

Jason
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 am

Quote :
I'm new to this forum and notice an army of Emoticons waving at me from the left.
The Forbidden Isle rings a bell. It's an Hawaiian island called Niihau. It's also a fictional place in Dungeon and Dragons. I also think it was a Conan book. Is your game based on one of these?

No. I don't know about any of those. It's just something I came up with.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 12:30 am

[start]room=1[acts]objloc2=1[end]

I managed to get this to work and read sign worked but then no other commands would work. I'll have to check out everything this weekend to see what I messed up on.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 5:17 pm

OK Sandy. Sorry to hear you had problems.

If you get really stuck you can email me your ".tab" adventure data file and I'll take a look.

Best wishes,
catventure.
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 pm

I couldn't get the game straight so I decided to start again from the beginning. This time I'm doing things a little differently. I've been doing a lot of saving using numbers at the end of each save. Now if something goes wrong I can back track to an earlier version and hopefully I'll be able to easily see what change is causing trouble.

I've decided to get all the locations done and working before I begin adding objects to the game.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 12:07 am

OK, Sandy.

In case you didn't know as an added security precaution against loss of data, TAB saves a copy of your data before it is run in the Player into the app folder. This file is called "autosave.tab" - which is handy if you forgot to save your data before testing.

Phil
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 12:13 am

I checked and I don't have one called 'autosave.tab' but I do have one called 'recover.tab'.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 12:30 am

Whoops!
Embarassed
I'm getting tired. You are correct "recover.tab" is the one.
It's been a busy day!

Goodnight,

Phil
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 am

I have a problem and hope someone can help.
My hero is wearing a backpack. I'd like to have a sandwich in it at the start. I've read about it in the tutorial but can't seem to understand how to get the sandwich in the backpack.

I've made location 75 as the inside of the backpack. The sandwich is object 4.

Help!

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 7:45 am

Hi Sandy,

In TAB if an object number is to be checked as being a container type object then the corresponding LOCATION number must be used as it's INSIDE. In the tutorial it says:

Quote :

Now there is a special rule with container objects. The rule is that an object container must use the corresponding location number as its "inside". This means that you cannot use those locations for normal room descriptions in the game. Our containers, Objects 5 and 6 will therefore use Locations 5 and 6 respectively as their 'contents location'.
Locations 5 and 6 are unused locations in this mini-game so that is OK.

If you wish to use location 75 as the inside of the backpack then the backpack object itself must be entered as Object number 75 into the Object Editor... Geddit?

I am assuming you've created 2 separate objects - a backpack and a sandwich.

To place the sandwich object into the backpack at the start of the game by default, you go to the Object Editor and bring up Object 4: the sandwich object and in the "Object Start Location" numerical box enter - 75. Remember to "Accept" the amendment.
The sandwich willl now start off in location 75 (inside of backpack)

If your "backpack" object was say.. number 3 then it would require LOCATION 3 to use as its contents location and the sandwich would need to be made to start off in location 3.... However that also means you can't use Location 3 now as a room description and you should not have exits leading to it from other other locations...

Let me know if this solves it OK. You should be able to "look in backpack" and the sandwich should be listed there.

Regards,
catventure.
Back to top Go down
MidKnight
Apprentice Adventurer
MidKnight

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

sandyrepope wrote:
Quote :

No. I don't know about any of those. It's just something I came up with.

Thanks
Sandy

It's always a good sign when you think you have heard of an adventure game before.
Sandy, if you need someone to playtest your game at anytime let me know.

Jason
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 pm

I've got my sandwich in the backpack now so it's on to the next challenge. (placing a hidden key). I hope this won't be too hard. We'll see.

When my adventure gets to a decent level, I'll let people test it to see what they think.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
MidKnight
Apprentice Adventurer
MidKnight

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 am

sandyrepope wrote:
I've got my sandwich in the backpack now so it's on to the next challenge. (placing a hidden key). I hope this won't be too hard. We'll see.

When my adventure gets to a decent level, I'll let people test it to see what they think.

Thanks
Sandy

I'm interested... What kind of sandwich and is it wrapped? Making me hungry.
Hope it is tuna fish.

Jason
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Quote :
I'm interested... What kind of sandwich and is it wrapped? Making me hungry.
Hope it is tuna fish.

It's peanut butter and jelly. One of my favorites. I didn't think about having it wrapped.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 3:59 pm

I've got the hidden key done. The player is able to get the key when it is found.

Now I will work on the problem of the door. I'm hoping that this will go well. I'll find out later today when I get going on it.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Sandy,

I'm glad you managed to make some progress.
Can't beat at least one good key and door puzzle in a game Laughing

I hope you have fun creating your door.

Adventure games seem to feature many different kinds of doors and not just the regular ones that can be opened, closed, locked and unlocked. You could include sound effect in .wav format of a door opening, closing, creaking, etc to accompany a player action involving the door...

Anyhow do let us know how you get on.

catventure
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 12:45 am

Do I have to make door an object in the object editor?

I'm unclear on this.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Entirely up to you Sandy.

If you create a door Object remember to make it a STATIC object.

Probably easier and better to use "/door/" as an ordinary NOUN in the Vocabulary.
Instead of it being a true Object it will be a "hidden" or scenery type object ie. something in the normal game text that the player can interact with...
Also doing it that way means if there are more doors in your game the one noun will cover them all.

Regards,
catventure.
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 pm

I can't seem to get the door working yet. I took some code from the tutorial.tab about the chest. I modified the responses but it didn't work.

Do I need some kind of entry in either script one or script two to get it working?

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 7:54 am

sandyrepope wrote:
I can't seem to get the door working yet. I took some code from the tutorial.tab about the chest. I modified the responses but it didn't work.
Do I need some kind of entry in either script one or script two to get it working?

Hi Sandy,

The tutorial code for the chest refers to a chest "object" CONTAINER constructed in the Object Editor.
If you are using a "door" which is is simply an object noun eg. for a door mentioned in the location text or a message text then your entry will be composed quite differently!

I don't know what you want to do with the door but if it is simply opening and closing and/or locking unlocking it then all you need really are entries that test the state of the door using a FLAG.

For example:
Using a spare user flag... say... flag 50 we can make it so:

if flag 50 = 0 the door will be locked and closed
if flag 50 = 1 the door will be unlocked but closed
if flag 50 = 2 the door will be open.

Since by default the flags are all set to zero at the start, the door will begin in the game as LOCKED.

Remember to put the verbs

/open/
/close/shut/
/lock/
/unlock/

into the Vocabulary.

Response:

[start]open door#room=X#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=X#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=X#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

[start]close door#room=X#or_flag50=0#or_flag50=1[acts]cmessThe door is already closed.#else#room=X[acts]cmessThe door is now closed.#flag50=1[end]

[start]lock door/lock door with key#room=X#absentX[acts]cmessYou don't have a key!#else#room=X#flag50=0[acts]cmessThe door is already locked.#else#room=X#hereX#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessYou lock the door with the key.#flag50=0[end]

[start]unlock door/unlock door with key#room=X#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already unlocked!#else#room=X#hereX[acts]cmessThe door is now unlocked.#flag50=1[end]

Substitute the X for your room number where the door is
Substitute the X for your object number for the key

One other thing you might need to do is when the player successfully opens or closes/locks the door is to tell TAB to set the connections from that location to open up an exit direction to the room beyond the door. To allow the player to go through the door to a new room or not as the case may be...

To do this add the "Connect" action (see language.txt file) to set the new exit open or closed when they successfully open or close/lock the door in the above entries.

example:

AMENDED

connect4=eastto5 : make a new connection from location 4 east to location 5

connect4=eastto0 : remove an exit from location 4 leading east to location 5

[start]open door#room=X#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#connectX=X$toX$#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=X#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=X#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

Hope this helps.

catventure.

Last edited by catventure on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Forbidden Isle Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Forbidden Isle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next