TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder

T.A.B. is an interactive fiction/text adventure program for Windows and made with thinBasic.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Happy New Year 2024!
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:04 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 71
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 4:08 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am by catventure

» TAB Version 70
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 2:32 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm by catventure

Share | 

The Forbidden Isle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male
Number of posts : 35
Adventure Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-10

The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Thank you for the help. All appears to work except the following line:
Quote :
[start]open door#room=4#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#connect4=eto21#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=4#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=4#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

It doesn't want to create the exit to the east. When I open the door and then type look, shouldn't the exit to the east be listed?

(I made connect4=eto21. I assume that the e stands for east.)

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male
Number of posts : 404
Humor : Enjoys a laugh!
Adventure Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 10:50 pm

OOPs!

Sorry Sandy.

Correct syntax is

connect4=eastto21

Directions must be typed in full!

This is stated in language.txt file. I was using previous CAT syntax which doesn't work in TAB.

catventure.
Back to top Go down
https://adventure.forumotion.com
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 1:58 am

I still can't get the door to working correctly. And, also, when the mat is moved to get the key then the sandwich is dropped. (no idea on that one)

I've been looking at the language.txt file but it just confuses me.

I've been thinking about leaving out the locked door Sad but I really want the door in there.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 am

sandyrepope wrote:
I still can't get the door to working correctly. And, also, when the mat is moved to get the key then the sandwich is dropped. (no idea on that one)

Hi Sandy,

In the Response bits of code to successfully close the door AND the code to successfully lock the door you will need to add in the action:

connect4=eastto0

This is to ensure the exit east is not available while the door is not open...

Maybe that will help regarding the door puzzle.

I would need to see the "move mat" code but a possible reason is
Player is carrying too much weight when "getting" the key? If so, TAB causes player to drop an object...
You can change/set this value called "Strength" on "Game Settings Editor".

catventure.
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Quote :
find key
[start]move mat#room=4#flag4=0[acts]create3#cmessYou move the mat and find a key.#objloc4=room#flag4=1[end]
This is what I'm using for the key. I haven't assigned any weight to the key or the sandwich. In other words, weight = 0 and size = 0. How important is the weight and size?

In game settings I have carryable limit = 200 and strength = 100.

I still haven't figured out any more about the door.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm

sandyrepope wrote:

[start]move mat#room=4#flag4=0[acts]create3#cmessYou move the mat and find a key.#objloc4=room#flag4=1[end]

Hi Sandy,

I think maybe a little error in the code:

"objloc4=room" is the action that is placing the sandwich (object 4) into current room and causing the problem. It should be removed from the entry.

Can you post the "door" code and I'll take a look.

Ta!

catventure
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 9:57 pm

That solved the problem with the sandwich. Thanks.

Here is the door code:
Quote :
handle front door of house
if flag 50 = 0 the door will be locked and closed
if flag 50 = 1 the door will be unlocked but closed
if flag 50 = 2 the door will be open.
[start]open door#room=4#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=4#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=X#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

[start]close door#room=4#or_flag50=0#or_flag50=1[acts]cmessThe door is already closed.#else#room=4[acts]cmessThe door is now closed.#flag50=1[end]

[start]lock door/lock door with key#room=4#absent3[acts]cmessYou don't have a key!#else#room=4#flag50=0[acts]The door is already locked.#else#room=4#here4#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessYou lock the door with the key.#flag50=0[end]

[start]unlock door/unlock door with key#room=4#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already unlocked!#else#room=4#here3[acts]cmessThe door is now unlocked.#flag50=1[end]

connect4=eastto5 : make a new connection from location 4 east to location 5

connect4=eastto0 : remove an exit from location 4 leading east to location 5

[start]open door#room=4#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#connect4=eastto21#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=4#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=4#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

I got a new error message. When the key is present and player gets it then if the command 'lock door' is used it tells me:

Action "The door is already locked." is Invalid!

I'm not sure how that can be giving me an error message.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 3:32 am

A friend of mine stopped by today and he told me that I'm going at the door problem all wrong. He said that I should work on one command at a time. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Right now I'm working on the 'unlock door' command. I'll keep working on it until I get it right. I imagine that I'll be spending the weekend working on the 'door'.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 6:10 am

Hi Sandy.

OK. There is a couple of mistakes in the code. Here are the corrected entries. Also I think maybe you misunderstood me or perhaps I didn't make it all that clear - only ONE entry is needed for OPEN DOOR...
I've just added in the "connect" action where it is supposed to be.

handle front door of house
if flag 50 = 0 the door will be locked and closed
if flag 50 = 1 the door will be unlocked but closed
if flag 50 = 2 the door will be open.

[start]open door#room=4#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#connect4=eastto5#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=4#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=4#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

[start]close door#room=4#or_flag50=0#or_flag50=1[acts]cmessThe door is already closed.#else#room=4[acts]cmessThe door is now closed.#flag50=1#connect4=eastto0[end]

[start]lock door/lock door with key#room=4#absent3[acts]cmessYou don't have a key!#else#room=4#flag50=0[acts]cmessThe door is already locked.#else#room=4#here4#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessYou lock the door with the key.#flag50=0#connect4=eastto0[end]

[start]unlock door/unlock door with key#room=4#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already unlocked!#else#room=4#here3[acts]cmessThe door is now unlocked.#flag50=1[end]

This should work correctly.

It is actually one of the more difficult puzzles to implement in a game for a newcomer to TAB coding so well done on persevering with it!

catventure.
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 1:29 pm

Quote :
Also I think maybe you misunderstood me or perhaps I didn't make it all that clear - only ONE entry is needed for OPEN DOOR...

I'm sure that it's me and not you. It's just taking me a while to understand everything.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 10:14 pm

So far, everything having to do with the door is working properly.

I have a question. When the player gets the door open and enters the house, is it ok that from that new location the player can't do anything with the door? I don't know if this is standard behavior or not. How is this handled in other adventure games?

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 6:25 am

sandyrepope wrote:
So far, everything having to do with the door is working properly.
I have a question. When the player gets the door open and enters the house, is it ok that from that new location the player can't do anything with the door? I don't know if this is standard behavior or not. How is this handled in other adventure games?

Hi Sandy,

I am pleased to hear that the door puzzle is working.

I personally think that the main puzzle with the front door would be sufficient (how to get into the house) but others might not. In any case it is but simple matter to enter a similar entry code block referring to location 5 using the same flag (50)
Just make sure that the exit connection west for Location 5 (Location Editor) is initially set to 4.

[start]open door#room=5#flag50=1[acts]cmessYou open the door#flag50=2#connect4=westto4#cmessThe door is open.#else#room=5#flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already open!#else#room=5#flag50=0[acts]cmessI'm afraid the door is locked![end]

[start]close door#room=5#or_flag50=0#or_flag50=1[acts]cmessThe door is already closed.#else#room=5[acts]cmessThe door is now closed.#flag50=1#connect5=westto0[end]

[start]lock door/lock door with key#room=5#absent3[acts]cmessYou don't have a key!#else#room=5#flag50=0[acts]cmessThe door is already locked.#else#room=5#here4#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessYou lock the door with the key.#flag50=0#connect5=westto0[end]

[start]unlock door/unlock door with key#room=5#or_flag50=1#or_flag50=2[acts]cmessThe door is already unlocked!#else#room=5#here3[acts]cmessThe door is now unlocked.#flag50=1[end]

Regards,
Phil.
Back to top Go down
sandyrepope
Apprentice Adventurer

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 2:42 pm

My project is coming along. The door now has sound effects when it is opened or closed. I think it adds a little something extra. There is also a sound when the score changes.

Thanks
Sandy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Forbidden Isle   The Forbidden Isle - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Forbidden Isle

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder :: TAB FORUMS :: Adventure Projects-
Jump to: