TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAB - thinBasic Adventure Builder

T.A.B. is an interactive fiction/text adventure program for Windows and made with thinBasic.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Happy New Year 2024!
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 4:04 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 71
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 12:17 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2022 10:23 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2022 4:08 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 70
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 30, 2022 11:15 am by catventure

» TAB Version 70
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 2:32 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2022 4:18 pm by catventure

» TAB Version 68 Update
CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm by catventure

Share | 

CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MidKnight
Apprentice Adventurer
MidKnight

Male
Number of posts : 32
Humor : I am a Vulcan, I don't have emotions
Adventure Points : 0
Registration date : 2008-06-08

CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE Empty
PostSubject: CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE   CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 4:42 am

Just wondering what other people think.

If you examine an IF character in a game should you get an inventory of what they possess?
Should their wares remain hidden unless you ask them?
They may have pockets.

Should characters in a game do what you ask them straight away? Some are strangers....

I just had a flash of an idea to increase the human element of IF characters.

A condition/action called TRUST which is basicly a flag witch increases and decreases the points that make a character do things for you. You increase/decrease the points in your coding.

Here comes the Phil headache and my brilliant new idea request.

Like Cycle and random messages. You have a %T% Trust element in messages.
Example...

mess50; %T1%%charn1% KILL'S THE SPIDER.%T2%%charn1% NUDGES AWAY THE SPIDER.%T3%%charn1% CATCHES THE LITTE SPIDER IN HIS HANDS.

>Say to tom,take spider

take spider (TRUST=0) Tom stamps on the spider.
take spider (TRUST=1) Tom says no.
take spider (TRUST=2) Tom flinches and takes the spider.

This will bring characters into a whole new unique intelligent aspect.

I think in the character menu there should be a new clickable box called trust which can be set to variables.

0=friend
1=stranger
2=eneny
3=other to be defined by coder.

People may think this is overkill but I see it as the next step. In alot of games it wouldn't be a consideration. IF TAB can do this I see TAB pushing the benchmark of IF games forward by massive steps.

Jason
Back to top Go down
MidKnight
Apprentice Adventurer
MidKnight

Male

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE   CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 1:26 am

Guess that idea went down like a hot balloon in a hurricane.

Not to worry, I spent some hours with pen and paper writing code. I'm pretty sure I can create this trust element myself.

MidKnight wrote:
Just wondering what other people think.

If you examine an IF character in a game should you get an inventory of what they possess?
Should their wares remain hidden unless you ask them?
They may have pockets.

Should characters in a game do what you ask them straight away? Some are strangers....

A condition/action called TRUST which is basicly a flag witch increases and decreases the points that make a character do things for you. You increase/decrease the points in your coding.

Example...

mess50; %T1%%charn1% KILL'S THE SPIDER.%T2%%charn1% NUDGES AWAY THE SPIDER.%T3%%charn1% CATCHES THE LITTE SPIDER IN HIS HANDS.

>Say to tom,take spider

I think in the character menu there should be a new clickable box called trust which can be set to variables.

0=friend
1=stranger
2=eneny

People may think this is overkill but I see it as the next step. In alot of games it wouldn't be a consideration. IF TAB can do this I see TAB pushing the benchmark of IF games forward by massive steps.

Jason
Back to top Go down
catventure
Admin Adventurer
catventure

Male
Number of posts : 404
Humor : Enjoys a laugh!
Adventure Points : 77

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE   CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 4:55 pm

MidKnight wrote:

Example...

>Say to tom,take spider

0=friend
1=stranger
2=eneny

Interesting idea Jason.

For next release I have made it so author has the option to use flags 501 to 600 out of the 600 user flags for such a purpose...

I have also done as you asked and created a "trust" variable

"trust=X" is a CONDITION that will be used in Character Speech Responses and will be linked to the value of the corresponding user flag mentioned above.

eg: If speaking/commanding to Character 4 then trust will be loaded with the contents of flag 504...

Ideally the author should have 2,3 or a max of 4 levels of compliance.
eg:

0= not compliant at all.
1= might carry out some commands...
2= fully compliant to carrying out commands!

For ease of coding and logic these values should apply to ALL the characters in the game.

I've made it so you can use the existing "charmsg" framework for dealing with individual character replies.
The trust level must be enclosed within square brackets inside of the character number definition reply texts within a normal message and will be called by the "charmsgX" action command as normal.

eg:

>say to <character>, climb fence

Message 2
===================
%ch1%[0]%speechname% refuses to climb the fence.
[0]
[1]%speechname% says: "I might be persuaded to do that..."
[1]
[2]%speechname% agrees to climb the fence.
[2]
%ch1%

%ch2%[0]%speechname% says: "No way!"
[0]
[1]%speechname% says: "Maybe if you help me with my problem..."
[1]
[2]%speechname% replies: "Certainly, my friend!"
[2]
%ch2%

etc... etc...

%chdef%%speechname% refuses to climb the fence.
%chdef%

===================

The Speech Response Entry:

climb fence#charloc%speech%=4[acts]charmsg2#call_trust=2#charloc%speech%=5#cmessThe %speechname% disappears over the fence...[end]

Note:
This entry uses new replacement to "then" action which due to problems has been abandoned and is now no longer supported in TAB!

"call_condition"

You can now check a condition AFTER the [acts] tag by prefixing a condition with "call_"
eg: #call_flag30=2# would check CONDITIONS to see if flag30 held a value of 2. If TRUE then TAB continues to process the actions. IF FALSE then TAB exits the entry.

So "call_trust=2" checks that the Character being spoken to has a trust level of 2; which means it will then climb the fence and be moved to location 5 in the example. (other side of the fence)

The characters by default will all start with a trust level of 0.

Their level can be increased by altering the relevant flag 501-600 value in coding entries when the character has been befriended, helped or appeased in some way so as to warrant a trust level raise.

The feature is being prepared for next release coming soon.

catventure.
Back to top Go down
https://adventure.forumotion.com
MidKnight
Apprentice Adventurer
MidKnight

Male

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE   CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 pm

[quote="catventure"]
MidKnight wrote:

Their level can be increased by altering the relevant flag 501-600 value in coding entries when the character has been befriended, helped or appeased in some way so as to warrant a trust level raise.

The feature is being prepared for next release coming soon.

catventure.

Very well done Phil! cheers
This will be an amazing advancement to TAB.
Will save the TAB coder (TABBER) alot of time developing characters. Will definately save me months. 500 code lines I can reduce to 50 and still be better.

THANKS!

Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE   CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CHARACTER INVENTORY AND GENERAL COMPLIANCE

View previous topic View next topic Back to top